WEEK 13: The Killing Joke


 

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

I'm not that interested in superhero comics since I like to know the full story of a character. I grew up with comics and superhero cartoons because of my dad but every time I saw one of the movies or cartoons I would ask him what their backstory was. He would sometimes explain the stories he read or seen and the changes or new alternate universes that happened to the characters. That just made me even more confused which is why I prefer mangas where it's more streamlined.


In terms of Batman: The Killing Joke I thought the visuals were a bit intense. I would try to read quicker whenever it shows Joker or Joker's victims' VERY detailed face. It was unnerving which is probably the point. 

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?

The comic reminded me of Joker the movie which challenges the typical superhero movie and addresses more about society. In a similar fashion, in The Killing Joke, Joker talks about how people are just as crazy as him if they just had one horrible day like him. 

I think it's interesting to see how they portray the "villain", building their background throughout which helps the reader connect more to the character. I felt bad for Joker when he found out about his wife and unborn child. Also, to be forced in a robbery which goes wrong making him the target for Batman and psychologically scarred.



Another point I connected with was the ending joke. The joke at the end, conveying how they are kind of the same. chasing one another, hurt in some way, both trying to fill avoid.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?

I was going to say making the comic into an animated short or movie but when I looked it up, DC already made a one which was not adapted that well. I think if they were to make another animated movie I would use a more detailed style similar to the comic rather than the existing DC animated style.

4. In what ways does this story differ from the typical expectations the reader might have for a superhero story?

It takes away the typical superhero perspective. It doesn't follow Batman on the search for the villain nor the typical fighting, cat, and mouse that ends with the superhero saving the day and celebrated. Instead, it ends in a conversation, a joke, and interpretation.

Comments

Popular Posts